Sunday, 7 October 2007
We do not use Chana dal often in our curries when compared to toor dal and moong dal, except for the tempering/popu/tadka.....This Chana dal curry tastes so delicious and yummy...I learnt this from my mom...I do not know if this can be cooked with any other vegetable other than Ridge gourd...Other than the normal Ridge gourd chutney, Ridge gourd Dal with Toor Dal or Moong Dal and curry with mik, this is one more variety of Ridge gourd based curries...Ginger garlic paste and cumin powder adds a spicy masala flavour to this curry..
Ridge gourd/Turai/Beerakaya - 1 medium sized (wash, and cut into 1 inch cubes)
Chana Dal - 1 cup (washed)
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Green chillies - 4-5 (chopped) - adjust to taste
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 1 (broken)
Curry leaves - 6-8
1. Take Chana Dal in a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of water and cook for 3 whistles. Dal should be seperate and not to be mashed. Drain the water and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wide bottomed pan, add the mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
3. When the seeds start spluttering add the onions, green chillies and ginger garlic paste.
4. Saute until the onions turn soft and transperent.
5. Now add the ridge gourd pieces, salt and cumin powder and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well.
6. Close the pan and allow to cook on medium flame for about 10min. The Ridge gourd pieces turn soft at this stage.
7. Stir in the Chana dal now, cover and cook for 5 min. Remove from heat.
Serve with Rice or Rotis.