Saturday 1 September 2007

Coconut-Poppyseed Kheer-- Kobbari gasaalu paayasam




This is my first post after my blog reconstruction. Now since this blog will have only recipes, 'll have to take extra care whilst posting the recipes [:(]...I've moved my microcosm to Here

Ok, coming to the recipe..I always wanted to experiment different types of kheer/payasam for the Naivedyam...Sago seeds, moong dal, chana dal, vermicelli..I made payasam with all these ingredients..but never tried the holy ingredient coconut...Coconut is used in many naivedyam recipes, why not in Kheer...So I decided to give it a try...I added poppy seeds because excess of coconut can cause throat pain, so I used half n half (coconut and poppyseeds both give a rich texture to the payasam)...


Ingredients:

Milk - 300ml
Dessicated coconut - 2 table spoons
Poppy seeds - 2 table spoons (soak in warm water for 10min and drain)
Sugar - 4 table spoons ( I used brown sugar) - adjust according to taste
Ghee - 1 table spoon
Cashew nuts - 8 (roasted in Ghee)

Procedure:

1. In a tava, heat the Ghee and fry the dessicated coconut for 3-4min. Set this aside.
2. Take the milk in a pan and Heat. Bring to boil and then add the sugar and soaked n drained poppy seeds.
3. Stir continously and add the fried dessicated coconut.
4. Reduce the flame and simmer for 5min until the kheer starts to thicken.
5. Decorate with roasted cashews
6. Serve warm.


No comments: