Saturday 1 September 2007

Wheat Crackers/Biscuits whatever...



I love the sleek, round, flavoured crackers/savoury biscuits we see in the super markets...onion,garlic,chilli flavours and many more...I'm not sure how they are made..But I happened to see a pack labelled as baked wheat crackers...They tasted sooooooo good...I googled for a recipe and found a very similar one here


The Original version appeared to be very simple and the pictures were damn perfect..Please don't compare my pics with those..:(...I was on the phone with one of my friends in India and ended up with not so nice looking crackers..But I loved the taste...I slightly made some modifications according to the ingredient availability...fiber filled, low fat evening snack...Here goes the recipe..




Ingredients:

Wheat Flour - 1.5 cups
All purpose flour - 0.5 cup
Onion - 1 medium sized - chopped
Green chillies - 4 - chopped
Garlic - 2 pods - crushed
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp - adjust
Oil - 1 tsp

Procedure:

1. Take the chopped onions, green chillies, crushed garlic in a blender and grind to a paste without adding water.
2. Add the salt to this mixture and set aside for a few min.
3. Mix the wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cumin seeds and the onion/chilli/garlic paste and make a dough. Water released from onions is sufficient to prepare the dough. Do not add extra water.
4. Pat some oil on the dough and set aside for 30min
5. Make thin chapathi like circles with the dough using a rolling pin.
6. Cut these circles into desired shapes. I used the cap of a pickle bottle to cut.
7. Make dimples on the crackers using a fork.
8. Grease a baking sheet with oil and place these crackers on the sheet.
9. Pre-heat the oven to 250C
10. Bake for 8min in the oven and then turn the crackers to the other side.
11. Bake for another 5min.
12. Enjoy with your favourite beverage. I had them with ginger tea :D


No comments: