Saturday 13 October 2007

Bell Pepper Kurma in Milk


Kurma in Milk....Errrrrr! Does this sound weird? Well, it's not weird in taste....Last week I was making drumstick curry with milk (mulakkayya palu koora). Drumsticks, Bottle gourds, Cucumbers taste good when cooked with milk..So I thought why not try other veggies....I'm in love with Bell Peppers now and hence I wanted to cook them this way...I make bell pepper/potato kurma with sour yogurt to go with Rotis and Parathas...For this recipe I used milk instead of yogurt.....It tasted so yumm...My milk mania had no leaps n bounds since then...I cooked mushrooms and eggs in milk and that turned out yummier...'ll post that recipe soon..



For the Bell Pepper Kurma here's the recipe,

Ingredients:
Bell peppers - 3 (wash n cut into chunks)
Potato - 1 (wash, peel and cut into cubes)
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Green chillies - 5 (chopped) - adjust to taste
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Turmeric - 1 pinch
Milk - 2 cups
Oil - 1 tbsp
Coriander - to garnish

Method:

1. Take water in a pan and add cubed potatoes. Add salt and a pinch of turmeric and bring to boil. Do not over boil. 5min on high would be sufficient. Drain the water and set the potato cubes aside.
2. Heat oil in a wide bottomed pan. Add the chopped onions, green chillies, ginger garlic paste and roast until the raw smells goes off.
3. Now add the bell pepper/capsicum chunks, sprinkle some water and cover the pan. Cook on medium for 5min. Capsicum starts turning soft.
4. Remove the lid, add salt, coriander powder, cumin powder. Mix well.
5. Add the boiled potato cubes, milk and cover the pan.
6. Cook on medium for 10min and turn off the heat when the gravy starts thickening.
7. Garnish with coriander and serve with Rotis.


18 comments:

Finla said...

This is new to me. I have used curds but not milk.
The pic looks really nice

Anonymous said...

That kurma looks so colourful keerthi. I must try this sometime.

Rajitha said...

i like adding milk to some spicy dishes too..it balances out the flavors more :)....looks yummy!

TBC said...

That is a nice recipe. I use milk a lot too in cooking .:-)

Seena said...

Keerthi,
Good one, is it coconut milk you mean?

Unknown said...

Nice combo.

Siri said...

Errrrrrrrrr... the curry looks fab dear.. I have a habit of adding milk to which ever curry/kurma i make.. hehehe.. for a nice taste..

Laavanya said...

I've made something a lot like this but have never added milk to it though. Looking good... :)

Bindiya said...

Keerthi never tried making peppers this way, will try it out.

Swaruchy said...

hey bavundi Keerthulu.......Milk eppudu veyyaledu nenu...idi kotha ga undi recipe.....will have to try :-)

Padma said...

Keerthi never thought of bell peppet with milk, might taste good with chapatis and biryani too!

Lissie said...

the picture looks colourful! adding milk is new to me. you are a really creative person!

Latha Narasimhan said...

Tarla dalal has quite a recipes with milk used in Kurma! Hers was the first cook book I bought so I have always used milk!:)) Your kurma is looking so yummy! I have bell pepper at home. May be i'll make your recipe tomorrow!:))

Rohini's kitchen said...

Wow nice recipe..Picture looks awesome.

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

thats a new twist...thanks for sharing

Bhawna said...

Kurma is tempting & a nice idea too. thanks for sharing.

Sia said...

milk in gravy...it surely sounds interesting to me:)

priyah said...

very colourful....