Sunday 21 October 2007

Omelette Pulusu - Curried Omelette


Eggs in any form other than Raw are acceptable by us...When I have got no veggies to cook, eggs would be my first choice where as my hubby opts for Rasam, Pappu Charu, Majjiga pulusu like dishes...I lived in banglore for a couple of months in 2004. Deepthi, my roomate introduced me to this new way of cooking eggs...They call it Omelette Pulusu, Omlettes soaked in cooked tamarind sauce...I sometimes make it like a pulusu with tamarind juice and water and sometimes just like a normal curry with tomatoes and onions.

My hubby makes pulusu with boiled eggs and half boiled eggs, while I always make it with Omelettes.

Ingredients:

For Omlettes,
Eggs - 4
Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
Green chillies - 3 (finely chopped)
Salt - 1/4th tsp (adjust)
Oil - 2 tsp

For the curry,
Onions - 2 (finely sliced)
Tomatoes - 2 (cut into chunks)
Tamarind - lemon sized ball (soak in water and extract the juice)
Salt - to taste
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp (adjust)
Oil - 1 Tbspn
Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds - 1 tsp each
Curry leaves - 10
Red Chillies - 2

Method:

1. Break the eggs into a bowl and beat thoroughly. Add the onions, green chillies, salt and Mix well.
2. Heat oil in an Omelette pan and make an Omlette with this mixture. Cook well and turn off the heat.
3. Cut the Omlette into wedges and keep them aside.

4. Now in a wide bottomed pan heat the oil.
5. Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies.
6. When the seeds start spluttering, add the onions and saute until they turn soft.
7. Add the tomato chunks, salt and Red chillie powder and cook for 3-4min.
8. When the tomatoes start turning soft, add the tamarind juice and 2 cups of water.
9. Close the pan and cook on medium for 8-10min.
10. Add the omelette wedges and turn off the heat.
11. Let the pieces soak well for 30min before serving.
12. Serve with Rice.

I have recently come across a similar recipe somewhere in the blog sphere, but don't remeber the name of the blog..Her post was an inspiration to me to cook this dish...I've been planning to make this since long, but when I've seen her post I immediately made my version...Thanks to her...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Keerths... egg tho kotha recipe idea ichavu.. thanks :)
Full creative aipothunnav ga ... keep it up :)

Swaruchy said...

mmmmmm.......Nice recipe....naa noru ooruthondi......Keerthi papa......U are tagged......:-)) Chcek out my site for details :-)

Finla said...

Good recipe. It is the first time i hear about making a dish like this.I totally agree what you are saying about eggs. When i have nothing at home then i too go for eggs

sunita said...

We too are an'eggy' family...that's a new recipe for me...thanks.

remya said...

hy keerthi...nice omelette pulusu...it was me who recently posted this pulusu...ur version sounds gud....i too love make pulusu wid omelette than boiled ones....

Padma said...

hey nice idea to make pulusu instead of using hard boiled eggs. Manchi ga undi!

Rina said...

Hey Apple, this should taste so good man. Never ventured this. Sure this time. Thx for the idea.

S said...

good idea keerthi adding omlet instead of eggs...

Sabita Sagi said...

pmlet pulusu...chudatanike super undi...tinte inka super untundemo...try chesi chepta...sabita
http://recipe-den.blogspot.com